Almost 85 m high and 15 m wide, it’s the most striking accomplishment of 14th-century Florentine Gothic architecture. And despite its towering height, the impressive structure maintains a uniform style and form throughout.
The climb to the top of the tower affords extraordinary views of Florence and a chance to snap some unforgettable photos. After climbing more than 400 steps into the air, you’ll reach a magnificent terrace overlooking the city (a modification of the original project that called for spires). The top of the tower also presents a rare view of Brunelleschi’s Dome, a sight for sore eyes as you revel in the splendor of the city.
Giotto’s masterpiece is today considered the most beautiful bell tower in Italy. Construction began in 1334 using the same white, red and green marble that decorate the Florence Cathedral, however, the artist's death in 1337 pushed completion to the second half of the 14th century. After the dreadful years of the Black Plague, Francesco Talenti set out to finish the job, specifically adding windows to the upper section. Typical Sienese double and triple-mullioned windows grace the top of the structure, illuminating the interior and adding a splash of Gothic to the classical style of the tower.
Price: € 15
- A single ticket grants access to all monuments in the Santa Maria del Fiore complex: Brunelleschi’s Dome, Giotto’s Bell Tower, the San Giovanni Baptistery, the Santa Reparata Crypt in the Florence Cathedral and the Opera del Duomo Museum.
- The ticket is valid until midnight of the 6th day starting from the day of purchase.
- Access to monuments is permitted for 48 hours following the visit to the first monument.
- Each monument may be visited only once; the ticket holder may not access the same monument twice using the same ticket.
- Reservations for the Dome, Bell Tower and Museum can be made online.
- Important Information: Entrance located on south side of Cathedral.
- Visitors are required to climb 414 steps.
- No elevators available.
- Free tickets to all monuments within the complex for Florence residents on birthday (valid ID required).